Rantings of My Mind...

Sometimes your mind has more to say than you know... Here are a few of the insights into what's happening upstairs...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA, United States

Sunday, October 7, 2012

13.1..., cause I'm only 1/2 crazy

About a year ago, I turned to Alyssa and said to her, "I want to run a 1/2 marathon next year."  Like many of the crazy things I say, Alyssa just nodded and said, "Whatever you want babe."  And that comment went to the wayside alongside comments like, "I think I want to open a restaurant." or "I wish I was close friends with Kevin Smith."

But in February of this year, I began to look at running more seriously.  I picked up an app that would train me to do a 5k (couch to 5k program).  And on May 19th, I began this journey towards my 1/2 marathon.  I ran the Palos Verdes 5k, and hated every minute of it.  I wasn't ready for the hills, I started out too quickly, but I finished.  And I finished well.  Now, I'm not the fastest of runners (in fact some people walk faster than me).  But, I never let that stop me.  I do what I can, and don't compete with anyone but myself.

A month and a half later, I ran a long beach 10k.  Again, I learned a lot about how to run a race (the hard way).  I didn't get any body glide, and about a mile into the race, I was chaffing pretty hard.  I wore a cotton shirt, and it got SUPER hot, SUPER quick.  But, again, I finished and I was excited that not only did I finish, but I got way under the time I was expecting.  Having finished a 5k and a 10k, I started setting my sights on the 1/2 marathon.

Now, for those of you who don't know, the measurements basically break down to 5k=3.1 miles, 10k= 6.2 miles, and 1/2 marathon is 13.1 miles (and duh, a full marathon is 26.2 miles).  So basically, I was doubling my distance each time I went out.  This isn't too bad, since a lot of books and experts say that while you train you can increase your distance by 10% every week.  So, by the time I was running 6.2 miles, I could  get to 6.8 miles the following week, and so on.  This theory is all good and fine as long as... you don't hurt yourself.

But, inevitably, my knee gave out.  I didn't know how much an injury could set back training.  I couldn't do my long runs, my short runs were junk... and I was really defeated.  But, Jeremy & Alyssa kept hounding me to cross train, to push myself, and to get out there so I wouldn't fall on my face.  And it helped!

This morning I woke up at 5am, and got out to Long Beach.  The longest I had run up until this morning was 7.5 miles.  Which, considering I was trying for 13.1, this was a HUGE jump.  So, I began my run slow.  Very Slow...  And, I just kept going, and going, and going....  I got to mile 6, and Alyssa and my mom were cheering me on.  So, I kept going.  I ran through downtown Long Beach, and I kept going.  And we ran along the beach... and my legs started hitting the wall.

Now, so many people describe the wall as a place where your mind, body, and everything gives out.  My shoulders hurt, I couldn't feel my hands, and my legs were crying out in pain.  And at 9 miles, I started walking.  Jeremy kept telling me to keep going, and to walk faster.  He encouraged me to run if I could.  I told him I couldn't.  I was upset at myself, mad at my stupid knee, and couldn't catch my breath.  Around mile 10, Jeremy pulled me to the side and told me to stretch, and catch my breath.  I did so, and we began walking again.  He started telling me to run.  I gave him every excuse in the book.  And he did not let me walk.  I was crying.  He didn't budge.  And so I ran.  I ran like a crazy person.  Because my body hurt so much, my form was all shot.  My arms flailed, my leg dragged, and I was still gasping in pain.  But I ran.

A mile later, with blood getting pushed around, my form started straightening out, and Jeremy kept telling me how good I was doing.  And I ran.  I did a mile, and it took forever.  But only 2.1 miles left...  I ran 1/2 a mile, and I wanted to give up.  How did I just go 1.5 miles?  And Jeremy kept pushing.  "You can do this."  "I can't feel my fingers and hands." "You don't need those to run.  Keep going!"  And I kept going.  A mile away, he started telling me "Almost there!!!"  But my legs felt like falling off.  And I kept going.  Now, I couldn't feel my face, and I was sure I was going to throw up.  But I kept running.  And Jeremy kept pushing.  And I could now see the finish.  My legs felt like falling off, my arms felt like jelly, my shoulders hurt, my stomach hurt....

...
...

And, I saw Alyssa.  The pain momentarily left, and I ran the last 100 yards with a smile on my face.  And I finished.

So, tonight...  I sit here.  My legs still hurt.  My shoulders are sore.  I'm stumbling around like a drunk frat guy.  But I finished.

And I couldn't be more grateful for my wife, my brother, and everyone who supported me in this journey.

Thank you all.  And, my last thought.  If I can do this, you can do this!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home