Rantings of My Mind...

Sometimes your mind has more to say than you know... Here are a few of the insights into what's happening upstairs...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA, United States

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

40x40 List

I don't do much blogging anymore, but I really enjoy writing (for fun). And now that I'm done with school, I'm hoping to pick some of it up again. I get inspired when Alyssa writes about her life and her thoughts. Not that I'm trying to copy her or anything, I just want to reflect in a safe space from time to time.

A little while ago, Alyssa created a 30 by 30 list. 30 things she wanted to do before she turned 30. What a great idea. Put down some bigger goals you can work towards. And I fell in love with the idea.

Alyssa has been bugging me to create my own 40 by 40 list… and I have been reluctant.  Mostly because once I put it down on paper, it will be something I have to strive for… but you know the saying, “You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.”  So… here goes.

  1. Become a dad
  2. Run a ½ marathon
    1. I actually JUST completed this, but when I started this list, I still hadn't finished it.
  3. Travel to Australia
    1. I’ve always wanted to go here.  It’s so far, but seems so cool!
  4. Become a homeowner
  5. Take a cooking class series
    1. I thought it would be fun to take a set of classes on something in particular
  6. Teach a cooking classes series
    1. Hey, I’m pretty good at cooking.  It might be fun to teach it too.  I’m thinking nothing official, but with friends and family?  Maybe
  7. Enter an eating competition of some kind (pie, hot dogs… whatever)
    1. OMG, this just seems fun!!!
  8. Go Kayaking in the ocean
    1. I took a kayaking class in high school (I know... shut up), but we never did anything outside of kayaking in our school pool...  It would be fun to do it in the ocean.
  9. Take a trip to Washington DC
    1. I’ve never been to our nation’s capital, and I would like to see all the monuments and all the museums
  10. Buy season passes to Disneyland (again)
    1. I love Disneyland.  It’d be fun to get an annual pass again.
  11. Lose enough weight that my stomach doesn’t jiggle when I brush my teeth
    1. Hahahaha, honestly, I just wanna get under 200, but this is (from Kevin James) a fun way of saying it.
  12. Donate 40 pints of blood (5 gallons)
    1. I’ve just hit my 1 gallon mark this year, and don’t think it will be too hard to get my way to 5 gallons by the time I’m 40.
  13. Learn to make sushi.
    1. How to cut the fish, how to cook the rice, how to roll the rolls... I wanna know it all.
  14. Go to the Opera with my wife (and get SUPER dressed up!)
    1. A little bit of culture hasn’t ever hurt anyone.  And getting dressed up is ALWAYS fun.
  15. Host a party where I have cooked EVERYTHING (at my house)
    1. This is also part of the “homeowner” point, but I’d love to cook all the appetizers and entrees and everything.
  16. Adopt a dog
    1. Love dogs.  I’d love to adopt one (or rescue one!)
  17. Take an “all inclusive” vacation (either on a beach or on a cruise!)
    1. This is me, being lazy...  I want to pay someone (or some company) to pamper me for a designated amount of time...
  18. Attend the Sundance Film Festival (or Canne, but I doubt that will be as easy)
    1. This might be a fun way to experience culture and sounds fun.  Hopefully it won’t be too pretentious.  
  19. Find a church I call “home”
  20. Participate in a multi-day relay race
    1. When we went to Zion, there was this relay race going on, and it was over 2 days, and went some 138 miles!!  I just looked it up, 12 runners, running 3-8 miles at a time, for 37 legs... it’s totally doable, I just need 11 more people who would be interested in this!
  21. Finish picking pictures for my wedding album
  22. Learn to swing dance
  23. Learn to salsa
  24. Learn to tango
  25. Experience Christmas in New York
    1. I’m still debating if this includes New Years in Times Square... probably not, but Christmastime in New York sounds amazing
  26. Get a Tattoo
    1. I’ve known what I want for awhile... just have to step up and do it.
  27. Attend a Broadway play in New York with my wife
  28. Volunteer somewhere I believe in for an extended amount of time.
    1. I’m gonna say at least a year here.
  29. Start a blog about food/cooking
    1. Not something I would do on a daily basis... but maybe weekly?
  30. Visit 3 of the 7 wonders of the world with my wife.
    1. I’ve been to the Great Wall, she’s been to the Great Wall & the Pyramids... time to do some of them together.
  31. Travel the United States by train.
  32. Travel to a foreign country to attend a festival
    1. Germany for Oktoberfest, Rio for Carnival, Anywhere for the Olympics...
  33. Go to the Grand Canyon
  34. Spend a night in one of those cabin/huts that sit over the water.
  35. Host a monthly game/poker night (for at least 3 months)
  36. Take a Ceramics Class
  37. Experience a “White Christmas”
  38. Create and serve a signature dish
  39. Finish a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle
  40. Put together a recipe book, and give it to someone who needs it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home